Toothache / Emergencies

Types of Dental Emergencies

Avulsed Tooth (tooth knocked out)

If an adult tooth has been knocked entirely out of its socket, it is essential to see a dentist immediately.  When a tooth exits the mouth, gum tissues, ligaments, nerves and blood vessels become damaged. However, if the tooth can be placed back into its socket within an hour, there is a chance that the tissues will heal to support the tooth once again. Place the tooth in a sterile liquid such as contact lens solution and bring it to Summerside Dental or an emergency dental clinic as soon as possible.

Lost Filling or Crown

Occasionally a crown or filling breaks or comes loose while eating hard or sticky foods, possibly due to recurrent decay or a cavity underneath the filling or crown.  The affected tooth may be sensitive to temperature changes or pressure, but this discomfort is usually tolerable for a few days.   Phone us at Summerside Dental to schedule an emergency appointment, then bring the crown with you as there is a possibility that we can re-cement it back on.

Cracked or Broken Teeth

Sometimes broken cusps are fairly painless, but if a crack extends down into the root or nerve of the tooth, it is likely that the discomfort will be intolerable.  Call us at Summerside Dental to schedule an X-ray and examination of the broken tooth.  It may need a filling, crown, root canal, extraction, or nightguard to protect it from further pressure.

Dislodged/Loose Teeth

When a tooth has been dislodged or loosened from its socket by trauma it might be possible for our dentists to save the tooth by repositioning and splinting it.  If the tooth is still attached to its blood vessels and nerves, then root canal therapy may not be necessary.  Call us immediately to book an emergency dental appointment.
Severe calculus buildup (hardened on bacteria and saliva proteins) causes gum disease, gradual bone loss and also results in the loosening of teeth. To prevent this condition from getting worse the calculus must be professionally scaled off the teeth, so contact Summerside Dental to schedule a dental hygiene appointment.

What should I do if my tooth or crown breaks, or my filling falls out?

Keep the tooth clean by brushing and flossing well, then phone us at 780-665-4833 to schedule an X-ray and evaluation of the tooth, a diagnosis, and the required treatment: whether that be a recementation of the crown or replacement of the filling.

What is the best way to relieve a toothache?

Brush and floss your teeth thoroughly, rinse with warm salt water, alternate Advil and Tylenol every 3-4 hours, and phone us at 780-665-4833 to schedule an emergency dental appointment.

What should I do if my teeth are broken?

If you or your child have been in an accident causing trauma to their mouth (such as trampoline, biking or baseball accidents) you need to be seen by a dentist as soon as possible for an emergency examination.  Phone 780-665-4833 if you or your child’s tooth is fractured, luxated, pushed into the socket or avulsed from (popped out of) the socket.   If you broke your tooth when biting something, your tooth most likely needs a filling or a crown, so phone us at 780-665-4833 for a specific examination and treatment.


Get in Touch

#8, 1109 Summerside Drive SW
Edmonton, Alberta
T6X 0H5, Canada

Get Directions

Clinic Hours

Mondays 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Tuesdays 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Wednesdays 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Thursdays 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Fridays 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM * Select Saturdays 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM